Prof. Dr. Serpil OPPERMANN
Professorship: (Year, Field, University):
2000. English Literature. Hacettepe University
Associate Professorship: (Year, Field, University):
1994. English Literature. Hacettepe University
Assistant Professorship: (Year, Field, University):
1989. English Literature. Hacettepe University
Lecturership: (Year, Field).N.A
Research Assistantship: (Year, Field):
1984. English Literature.
Ph.D: (Year, Field, University):
1987. English Literature. Hacettepe University
Title of Ph.D Thesis:
John Fowles as a Postmodernist: An Analysis of Fowles's Fiction within Metafictional Theories." (UMI 8809274- Reg.# TX 2-550-728 Ann Arbor).
Included in the Bibliography of John Fowles: A Reference Companion. New York, London: Greenwood Press, 1991. (By James R. Aubrey)
M.A.: (Year, Field, University)
1982. English Literature. Hacettepe University
Title of M.A. Thesis:
The Tragic Conflict Between Fate and Character in Thomas Hardy's Novels."
B.A.: (Year, Dept., Faculty, University)
1980. English Literatur
e. Hacettepe University
Postmodern Fiction; Contemporary Literary and Cultural Theories and Criticism;Postmodern Theory of History; Ecocriticism; Ecophilosophy and Environmental Literature; Deep Ecology; Correlations between Postmodern, Ecological and Quantum Theories; Relations between Literature and Ecology; Postcolonial British Literature; Interdisciplinary Approaches to Literary Studies.
1. Tarihyazımcı Postmodern Roman. Frankofoni. Ortak Kitap 13. ( Ankara 2001):473: 482.
2. "Are We Really Interconnected? Ecophilosophy and Quantum Theory from a Postmodern Perspective" JAST: Journal of American Studies of Turkey. 16 (Fall 2002): 51-64.
3. Wholesight and Implicate Order in the Postmodern Wormholes of Daniel Martin. John Fowles and His Work: The 8th Metu British Novelists Seminar Proceedings. Ed. Dürrin Alpakın Martinez-Caro. Ankara: Erk Yayıncılık, 2003.
4. "Towards an Ecocentric Postmodern Theory: Fusing Deep Ecology and Quantum Mechanics." The Trumpeter: A Journal of Ecosophy. 19. 1 (2003): 7-36.
5. Ecocentric Postmodern Theory in the Literary Profession. The Endangered Planet in Literature. IV.International Conference of Literatures in English. Selected Proceedings. 16-18 November 2005. Eds. Barry Tharaud and Elizabeth Pallito. Istanbul: Doğuş University, 2005. 122-140.
6. Theorizing Ecocriticism:Towards a Postmodern Ecocritical Practice. ISLE: Interdisciplinary Studies in Literature and Environment. 13.2 (Summer 2006): 103-128.
7. Doğa Yazınında Beden Politikası. Littera: Edebiyat Yazıları.Ortak Kitap (Journal for the Study and Research of World Literatures). 18 .13 (June 2006): 75-85.
8. Ecological Imperialism in British Colonial Fiction. H.U. Journal of Faculty of Letters. 24. 1 (June 2007):179-194.
9. Seeking Environmental Awareness in Postmodern Fictions. Critique. 49. 3 ( Spring 2008): 243-253.
Book Chapter: Ecocentric Postmodern Theory as a Sustainable Ecocritical Thought: Interrelations between Postmodern, Ecological, and Quantum Theories. Ecocritical Theory and Prcatice:New European Approaches. Eds. Kate Rigby and Axel Goodbody. Virgina State UP, 2008 (awating publication)
Book: Postmodern Tarih Kuramı: Tarihyazımı, Yeni Tarihselcilik ve Roman. 1999. Rpt. Ankara:
Phoenix, 2006. (Postmodern Theory of History: Historiography; the New Historicism and the Novel)
"The Gap." (with Michael Oppermann)
A-Way with it!Contemporary Innovative Fiction. Ed. Eckhard Gerdes. New York: Writers Club Press, 2002. 237-243.
1 a. "The Twilight of the Bums: A Reading" ( pp. 387-394); b."Raymond Federman: 99 hand-written poems/ 99 ècrits à la main. (A joint review with Michael Oppermann) (pp. 394-397);
2 a." Raymond Federman's Loose Shoes: a life story of sorts. ( pp. 397-402); b."Raymond Federman and George Chambers: The Twilight of the Bums (A joint Review with Michael Oppermann) (pp. 402-404) in
The Laugh that Laughs at the Laugh: Writing from and about the pen Man, Raymond Federman. (Journal of Experimental Fiction 23).
Ed. Eckhard Gerdes. San Jose, New York, Lincoln, Shanghai: Writers Club Press, 2002. ( 387-404).
3.Postmodernism Gone Wild: Alev Alatlıs Schrödingers Cat. Çankaya University Journal of Arts and Sciences. 6 (December 2006):231-237.
Recent Conference Papers
1. "Postmodernism in the Ecological Viewfinder: Ecocentric Postmodern Theory in the Literary Profession." 18.11.2005. 4th International Conference of Literatures in English: The Endangered Planet in Literature 16- 18 November 2005 Doğuş University, İstanbul.
2. Doğa Yazınında Beden Politikası. (Body in Nature Witing) Yazında ve Çeviride Beden (Akşit Göktürkü Anma Toplantısı). 15-18 March 2006. İstanbul Üniversity- Facuşty of Letters and Sciences, Kuyucu Muratpaşa Medresesi. Istnabul.
3. Ecological Imperialism in British Colonial Fiction. 1st International IDEA Conference on:Studies in English. 24-26 April 2006. ( Boğaziçi University, Department of Western Languages and Literatures, and IDEA -English Language and Literature Research Association), Istanbul.
4. Seeking Environmental Awareness in Postmodern Fictions. (Keynote Speech) 19-24 February 2007. International Conference on Environment: Survival and Sustainability. Near-East University, Nicosia (Lefkosha), Northern Cyprus.
5. Turkish Landscapes in English Travel Writing From the Perspective of Ecological Imperialism. 25-27 June 2008. International Conference on Orient and Occident: East Meets West. Netherlands Institute, Istanbul; Université de la Picardie Amiens; Uni,versiteit Utrecht; Ankara University. Istanbul.
6. To Whom It May Concern: Ecocritical Encounters with Metafiction. 9-11October 2008 Tsinghua University. International Conference on Beyond Thoreau: American and International Responses to Nature. Beijing.
Classical Music; Alternative Medicine and Energy work; Martial Arts; Eastern Philosophies